Join us to make change happen in Lowell!
Who's invited? Everyone! We need you to help shape the future of education in Lowell.
How does it work? Following the December 2017 Community Action Forum, we are hosting a series of Action Groups to discuss the themes and priorities identified during the Community Circles and the Forum. Each Action Group is led by a trained community dialogue facilitator and will be meeting a couple of times before sharing their plans at the March Learning Exchange. The themes and priorities for each Action Group can be found below.
What to bring? For these free events, we will provide snacks, childcare, and interpreters- you provide the ideas!
What's this Learning Exchange you mentioned? When all the Action Groups have had time to meet, our School Community Engagement Coalition will reconvene with the Action Group participants in a meeting to share and discuss learnings and determine the next steps.
Sign me up! To participate in an Action Group or to learn more, contact Shamir Rivera, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Themes and priorities
Theme: After School and Outside of School Opportunities- Click here for the feedback from the Circles on this theme
- Priority 1: User Experience Group (focusing on communications)
- Priority 2: Community-generated opportunities list
Theme: Cultural Competency, Language Access, and Diversity- Click here for the feedback from the Circles on this theme
- Priority 1: Train current staff on cultural competency/diversity and language access
- Priority 2: Hire diverse staff and develop system to welcome diverse workforce
- Priority 3: Form strong linkages between systems, school, service agencies etc. to ease access for families to resources which will support their success
Theme: Logistics, Schedules, Operations and Facilities- Click here for the feedback from the Circles on this theme
- Priority 1: Streamline communication
- Priority 2: Equitable facilities
Theme: Parent and Community Involvement and Engagement- Click here for the feedback from the Circles on this theme
- Priority 1: Buddy program for new parents (ELL/SPED)
- Priority 2: Enhance the efforts of the Family Resource Center via resource nights (including CORI process for parents), participation in community events, and longer hours
Theme: Student Voice and Learning- Click here for the feedback from the Circles on this theme
- Priority 1: How can we include more student leadership roles in K-12?
- Priority 2: Can the district develop a research-based policy on homework and recess as part of a bigger policy idea? (What sets kids up for success and enables them to learn best?)