Your Voice Matters: Engaging Community in Our Schools
What is “Your Voice Matters”?
A diverse coalition of educators, students, parents and community members working together to 1) boost school-community engagement, 2) improve the Lowell Public Schools (LPS) and 3) give voice to those who often go unheard or are overlooked.
Why Community Engagement in the Schools?
Imagine a future where all parents are engaged in their children’s education and future, every student has access to the programs and resources they need to succeed, and all community members find a role to create positive, powerful educational experiences for students.
Research shows that when schools, families and communities engage in education, more students succeed and thrive.
Since the fall of 2017, more than 600 individuals have participated in small group discussions and community-wide education forums to determine key strengths and challenges in their schools, and partner with educators around improvements.
Action Group Points of Progress:
- Advocating for increased diversity in Lowell Public Schools through staff, teachers, and administrators so they reflect the diversity of Lowell students.
- Providing training and support to youth, family and community members to increase their leadership skills and civic engagement in facilitation, cultural competency and community organizing.
- Early planning has begun to formulate a student advisory council at Lowell High with clear decision-making parameters. This diverse influential body of students can advise on policies and promote student leadership.
- Supporting re-establishment of the Lowell Citywide Parent Council.
- Working with the Lowell Education Justice Alliance (LEJA) to foster strong elementary and middle school engagement by advocating for Lowell students K-8 to have 30 minutes of recess time. Latest research indicates that recess time improves student engagement, test scores, and student success.
How do you get involved?
- Join an action group, email firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Parent & Community Involvement
- Diversity in Staffing & Cultural Competency
- After School & Outside of School Opportunities
- Student Voice & Learning
- Logistics, Schedules & Communication
- Participate in community coalition planning meetings (5-6 per year), email email@example.com
- Follow @ProjectLEARNLowell on Facebook